[CAUT] capsizing / catstrophic action failure

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:41:04 -0600

> Hi Ron,
>     20% RH would be high around here at the moment. We're in the teens
> and single digits. How do pianos sound? Just fine to my ear. Maybe my
> ears have adapted, or the thin air and oxygen depletion has destroyed
> certain parts of my brain over the years. I frankly don't find lack  of
> crown/DB all that noticeable. Or maybe it's that I am used to
> approaching pianos in that condition and voice/regulate/whatnot
> accordingly. I've never done piano work anywhere else, other than
> training sessions.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Thanks Fred, that's why I asked. Here, we get up in the 70s%RH
inside in Summer, and usually not much below 25% in Winter,
though it's been dryer this year. Winter brings the complaints
about tonal problems anywhere and everywhere from octave 5 up,
and Summer brings the magic and often dramatic sweetening of
sound, disappearance of killer octave attack "splatter",
increased sustain, and spontaneous healing of false beating
trebles. With drier wet cycles, there wouldn't be the contrast
that makes the yearly dry season complaints so obvious. I know
we all grade on the curve from lack of having experience at
EVERYTHING possible. But then plenty of my own brain cells
haven't checked in for some time now either.

Ron N