[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:40:39 +0100

I have to agree with Davids last in which he underlines more firmly what
I tried to state in my own reply.

I would add that it may be that the fellow trying to push this through
is trying to find a back way in to fix a job for a freind. It might be
wise for you to mention this as well.

So.. I recommend the following concrete action.

-Warn the head of department and CFIC that the water alchohol treatment
is not appropriate for the piano.
-Mention the possiblity of the adjunct trying to usurp you with someone
else and mention also that if there is any reason to try out a new
tuner.. then there are more appropriate ways of doing this.
-Suggest that if outside expertise is desired for this instrument, then
a Regional Yamaha Concert technician is available and that Yamaha
America is the place to contact.
-In the end, put the decision firmly in the hands of the Administrator
and head of department after the above is done.
- Position yourself also such that you appear to welcome qualified
outside expertise and are eager to use such expertise as a learning
experience.

This last is a good card to play in counter recommending a Yamaha
Concert tech.  You could arrange a kind of personal voicing seminar ....
and play the adjunct off onto the sidelines at the same time.

Hope this all helps..
Cheers
RicB

_________
David Love writes:

I still think you have to make your position known but in a diplomatic way.
Disagreement should be allowed in such a situation and I don't think you
should fear stating your case.  You can make your points without trashing
the other person.  I would explain as clearly a possible what the down sides
are, what will likely happen to the tone, why it may have projection
problems, how that doesn't fit into it's current use on stage, what that
will mean once the work is done if the result is less than satisfactory,
what the alternatives are that are more controllable and can be approached
in a more gradual way, that Yamaha doesn't advise using this treatment on
their pianos for all the reasons given.  Then stand back and let them
decide.  My experience suggests that belief tends to trump knowledge in
these cases.  Remind them that this operation tends to produce the best
results when the moon is in Pisces.  To quote Carl Sagan, "It's a demon
haunted world".

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net