[CAUT] Water/Alcohol on Yamaha Hammers

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:10:36 -0600

I agree with Jim. The current, real time problem is the political situation,
the over-all problem is inadequate funding for maintenance.  I don't know
what is the best course of action for you to take regarding the latter, but
I can tell you what I did when I was hired at Illinois Wesleyan
University--I started writing reports.  Every year for five years I wrote
reports, recommendations, justifications.  Finally the fifth year, the
position (90 instruments) was made full time and they had even accepted a
schedule for rebuilding and replacing pianos.  (Then, of course, my husband
accepted a job in Texas...)

I wrote and wrote, but it was when I got down to saying exactly (in numbers)
what I could accomplish each week in 10-12 hours (my contract) and showed
what wasn't being done, the message got through.  I used the university
fleet of cars as a <sort> of analogy (cars need more than gas--pianos need
more than tuning) and I used the College and University Guidelines--though
the head of the school of music was suspect of it, because it was compiled
by technicians who were anxious to line their own pockets.  Ugh, it never
occurred to him that there are folks out there that might want to do a good
job...  Fortunately, it was the university administration that saw the
light.

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT