[CAUT] M & H model 50

Aaron Bousel abousel@comcast.net
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:25:25 -0500

There is a Mason & Hamlin upright model 50 (vintage 1975) I service
and at the last tuning the owner was complaining about bobbling
hammers. The hammer pinning is very loose. I played around with the
note that was bothering her the most and through a combination of
repinning and strengthening the hammer return spring was able to all
but eliminate the problem. The piano is in good regulation. Here's
the issue: The action is really poorly made. 1975 was not exactly the
golden age for these. In repinning the one I did, I could see that
the flange bushing cloth was poor quality. It would be wonderful to
replace the whole action, but that's not going to happen. Does anyone
know if it's possible to get replacement hammer flanges? These
flanges are different from the generic ones sold by piano supply
houses. If that's not possible, I have to go with rebushing what's
there. Any recommendations on a good source of flange bushing cloth?
I know M&H are making these again. Anyone know if the action design
is the same?

thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Bousel
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
abousel@comcast.net
(413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)