[CAUT] disability insurance

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:37:42 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2006 12:58:49 PM Central Standard Time,
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:

My  understanding is that if you sign that waiver it isn't just for UM
but  anywhere. The LDS Church lawyers looked at that option and decided
no. I  think it's dumb that ambulance chasers have pushed it to this, but
on the  other hand all I had to do was raise my price $4.00 per tuning
and it paid  for the extra WC and the liability insurance. This is based
on about 90  pianos tuned twice per year. $4.00 x 90 x 2 = $720.00. If
you have more  tunings then it would be even less per piano.

When you look at it that  way (only $4 per tuning) it's not that big of
deal. However, it still irks  me to no end...

Regards,
Jim

Jim

Raising the price of a tuning by $4 just to cover an insurance premium is
not the end of it. If you're also going to have to raise your rate to cover cost
 of other living expenses, gas expenses, etc., etc., somewhere along the line
the  increase in your fee will put you too far above what the market will
bear.  Pretty soon, customers are not going to call you, because they can get
someone  else for cheaper. (There will be some who will pay your rate, but it
will cost  you some business.)

This is what is basically happening in the medical profession.  Doctors have
to pay more for malpractice insurance than the health  insurance companies are
compensating them. As a result, they can't afford to  stay in business.

Insurance has become a racket. I don't know the answer, and I am not
advocating nationalizing the insurance industry, but unless some controls are
brought forth, this country will become insurance poor.

Wim