[CAUT] disability insurance

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:58:49 -0500

Wim, perhaps the answer lies in the newly revised old joke,"What do you =
call 1000 lobbyists at the bottom of the ocean?" "A good start."  But =
please don't take this too seriously or too far as we can't solve this =
in this forum. Better days.
Chris Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] disability insurance

  In a message dated 1/19/2006 12:58:49 PM Central Standard Time, =
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:
    My understanding is that if you sign that waiver it isn't just for =
UM
    but anywhere. The LDS Church lawyers looked at that option and =
decided
    no. I think it's dumb that ambulance chasers have pushed it to this, =
but
    on the other hand all I had to do was raise my price $4.00 per =
tuning
    and it paid for the extra WC and the liability insurance. This is =
based
    on about 90 pianos tuned twice per year. $4.00 x 90 x 2 =3D $720.00. =
If
    you have more tunings then it would be even less per piano.

    When you look at it that way (only $4 per tuning) it's not that big =
of
    deal. However, it still irks me to no end...

    Regards,
    Jim

  Jim

  Raising the price of a tuning by $4 just to cover an insurance premium =
is not the end of it. If you're also going to have to raise your rate to =
cover cost of other living expenses, gas expenses, etc., etc., somewhere =
along the line the increase in your fee will put you too far above what =
the market will bear. Pretty soon, customers are not going to call you, =
because they can get someone else for cheaper. (There will be some who =
will pay your rate, but it will cost you some business.)=20

  This is what is basically happening in the medical profession. Doctors =
have to pay more for malpractice insurance than the health insurance =
companies are compensating them. As a result, they can't afford to stay =
in business. =20

  Insurance has become a racket. I don't know the answer, and I am not =
advocating nationalizing the insurance industry, but unless some =
controls are brought forth, this country will become insurance poor.=20

  Wim