[CAUT] Differences?

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:27:42 -0600

Jim,

Interesting observations and an interesting question.  Man, I'm totally =
offended----not.

Hmm.  Well...I'm trying to remember what it is to learn to tune, I know =
for me it was hard work.  Maybe it has something to do with upper body =
strength?    Let's face it, it's a lot easier to learn key bushing than =
tuning. Perhaps your girls have somewhat better dexterity for the =
tedious little stuff.  Maybe you should ask the guys why they like =
tuning better than shop work? =20

Come to think of it, tuning <for me> is the necessary drudge work; =
voicing, regulating, etc. is the fun stuff.  =20

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jim Busby=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 4:54 PM
  Subject: RE: [CAUT] Differences?

  Michelle, Barbara,=20

  =20

  A serious question here; I've got three daughters and a son who have =
learned to do quite a bit of piano work. The girls all love to do =
tedious shop work but HATE to tune. The boy loves to tune but doesn't =
like shop work all that much. I just thought it was their personalities =
until I started having students work here at BYU. Seems the same =
applies. I don't want to come across as sexist in any way, but I want to =
understand why. All the female students seem to excel more at the shop =
skills, but seem to dislike tuning. It seems harder for them than the =
guys. They seem to be less aggressive and more perfectionists and can =
hardly stand it if they don't get it right NOW. There are other teachers =
besides me so I don't think my teaching style is to be blamed. I guess =
the real question is, do women (physically, mentally.) have a harder =
time learning to tune?? I really want to encourage more women to take up =
the trade. (Help!)

  =20

  Jim Busby BYU

  =20