[CAUT] Differences?

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:27:12 -0800

Wim,

Not to be confrontational....But, when you make general, sweeping statements
about how women do or don't behave, that IS being sexist!!!

If you were to make the same sort of generalities about a minority group, I
think you could see how that would be equally as misguided.

Perhaps the observations you've made about your wife, may just have to do
with your wife and not all women, as you suggested.  There are many reasons
why she may have preferred tuning.  There are many reasons why she may be
mechanically challenged...one of which is that the toys and opportunities
marketed for girls offer them little in that direction.  I had no brothers
and I never got to have all the "cool" toys and games that all the boys got.
(At least to me they were way cooler.)  Back then, parents thought they
shouldn't cross over the gender lines with those things.  Changing diapers
on baby dolls was the most mechanical thing some of us got to do.  And if
you take a stroll down the aisles of Toys R Us, you'll see that it hasn't
changed all that much.

When young girls are encouraged to have their own tools, build things, fix
things, take things apart....they are having some of the basic experiences
that begin to develop mechanical reasoning.  At least in this area, things
have begun to change.  It is the attitudes of those of us making decisions
for young women that still need to change.

I kindly suggest to you, Wim, that you might re-examine your thinking about
such things.  Step up to the 21st century.  A lot of us are here!  :>)

Respectfully,

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT

 <mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net> mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net