[CAUT] Steinway rail re-doweling

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 12 09:34:23 MDT 2006

Hi, Tim,

At 04:45 AM 7/12/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Horace,
>
>Thanks for information about the scales.

Most welcome.

>  As I have not gone the route of buying new,  I thought it should
> be brought into the discussion.

Absolutely!

>   I do know it has been done, but not sure how this tech does
> it.  This is a highly respected tech.  I don't think it is worth
> pursuing for the reasons you mentioned.  I was hoping someone who
> uses this method might speak up.

I do think that simply replacing the whole set new from S&S can work
very well for later production...probably anything after the
mid/late-80's.  Early than that can be more dicey.

>John was very concerned about shipping.  He sent a custom  made
>"Anvil" shipping case.  The shipping was quite expensive.  And yes
>it was a single rail.  The work was beautiful.   You know the solder
>joints have been checked.

However expensive, I am glad to know that the work is so good.  If
one is not set up for doing this, it's great to have an option.

>After seeing Mark Cramer's directions and pictures I would suggest
>looking into replacing myself.    When Mark creates directions they
>are precise.

I agree...now, if I could just remember where I saw them
posted...sorry, I've had some very bad EM-days/weeks recently and
fear that I have lost many things.

>  I have directions Mark gave me for another procedure to proof by
> doing for an extremely complicated type of installation.  There was
> nothing to change in his directions.  I am sure the same holds true
> in re-doweling the rail directions.

That was my read, as well.

Best.

Horace