[CAUT] Steinway rail re-doweling

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Jul 13 13:33:56 MDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 1:28 AM, Horace Greeley wrote:

> Yes...and...fwiw, having done this both ways a number of times, I
> think that using a new stack from S&S may not always be the right
> choice.  There have been many changes in the scales over time, and
> the factory is not interested in doing anything that does not
> comport with whatever the current specifications are.  I've been
> burned on this with both Bs and Ds, and wound up redoweling or
> drilling new blank rails for myself so as to get an accurate scale.

OTOH, Kent Webb seems to be committed to making the Steinway parts
department work for you.  I've heard him say more than once that if
something doesn't work or doesn't fit, send it back.  The parts
department is very user friendly these days and you can maintain
contact with folks there who know what is going on and what you need
and what problems you might encounter.  They supply the parts for the
Restoration Center rebuilds and I understand that deviations that are
required there from current parts are rare.  According to Kent's
parts presentation, the spacing isn't supposed to have changed since
1887 or some date like that (he makes that point selling the complete
back action).  I realize that reality is often not what is "supposed
to be", but they can advise you of any changes that might affect what
you're doing.  It certainly can't hurt to give them a try. They seem
to be trying really hard, and for me it is difficult to hear a lot of
the Steinway bashing that goes on for that reason.

The cost for a new rail is now around $300 plus shipping (my last
price list is 2005, and I see $283 for SMLOAB and $311 for C/D
(though, I can't for the life of me understand why there is a
difference).  If it works, you've saved $800.  If it doesn't, send it
back.  I appreciate high quality workmanship as well as the next
fellow, and if redoweling is the only answer, then by all means go
that route.  But to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to go that
route when a new rail might very well work for nearly 1/4 the cost.
I have also seen old rails cracked and split, so it would seem more
wise to me to replace the whole thing, even if it cost more than
redoweling, if it fits.

Just thinking out loud.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT