[CAUT] Agraff levels

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 17 17:41:23 MDT 2006

> Greetings,
>    Yes, it amazes me that the Standard Piano of the World is built so
> carelessly.  It is not at all uncommon to find Steinways with the agraffe holes in
> the plate bored so poorly that there is no way to bend the wires to accomdate a
> truly level hammer strike point. The entire agraffe is canted to one
> side,(usually the treble) When this problem is accompanied by poorly made agraffes,
> there is a real mess.  I usually have several hammers that are slightly crooked
> on the strike point in order to make even contact with the strings.
>      And I still don't understand why it is so difficult for the factory to
> space the agraffes evenly!
> Regards,
>
> Ed Foote RPT

It's a hand built piano. Some are built on Friday, some on
Monday, some after lunch, by a lot of different hands. Why
should the agraffes be any less random than the plate bolt
head shapes, or the bearing and crown, or the action stack
placement, or the string height, or the key leading, or the
apparently infinitely variable signature sound, or anything
else in the piano you might name and battle? It's not
carelessness. It's Old-World craftsmanship.

Ron N