[CAUT] Agraff levels

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 17:14:37 MDT 2006

<< particularly obstreperous D I got down close and checked.  The
agraffe was cock-eyed! Look closely on some pianos and you will note
the agraffes aren't always parallel to the same plane from one to the
next...Grrrrr! >>

Greetings,
   Yes, it amazes me that the Standard Piano of the World is built so
carelessly.  It is not at all uncommon to find Steinways with the agraffe holes in
the plate bored so poorly that there is no way to bend the wires to accomdate a
truly level hammer strike point. The entire agraffe is canted to one
side,(usually the treble) When this problem is accompanied by poorly made agraffes,
there is a real mess.  I usually have several hammers that are slightly crooked
on the strike point in order to make even contact with the strings.
     And I still don't understand why it is so difficult for the factory to
space the agraffes evenly!
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT