[CAUT] "phing....pck.....pluug"

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 25 12:29:09 MDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 9:42 PM, william ballard wrote:

> Which bring up another point: theoretically as soon as the crown
> gets string cuts, there's no such thing as open strings. The string
> cuts may be of different lengths, but ironically, these grooves are
> the product of another kind of mating.

	Theoretically, this may be so. Practically speaking, I don't think
it happens. I don't think string grooves ever conform to the string
levels through wear. I used to believe it would happen, and thought I
could just get things close and let the piano be "played in." Doesn't
work in my experience. And looking at pianos with out of level
strings, I don't find out of level grooves. And I find that they
aren't mating, hammer to strings. I think that the distance
differences are so slight that they are obscured by the amplitude of
movement of the strings when they are struck, and that there is too
much "springiness" in the system, both hammerfelt and strings for
there to be significantly more wear on the groove that strikes its
string first.
	Perhaps others have different experience along these lines, but
those I have spoken to agree that an unmated hammer never really
becomes mated.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico