[CAUT] key bushings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 4 10:39:06 MST 2006

> I vote for Spurlock key bushing cauls. I've used a Bushmaster and found
> it to be a very good tool, fast and accurate. However, I stopped using
> it because of the enormous amount of very expensive key bushing cloth
> left over, usually in pieces too short to be of any use. With the
> Spurlock system, you will only have a small piece of cloth left over
> with each strip of cloth you use.

Or you can use the brass or aluminum cauls, inserting two
sides (ends) at a time and trimming as you go for near zero
waste. The nicest thing about the Bushmaster system is the
idiot resistant uniformity of insertion depth of the cloth. If
your eyeball insertion gage is adequately dependable, the
single or double caul system uses less cloth. Speed is
probably more operator rather than system specific with either
approach, and none of them qualify as being particularly fun.

Ron N