[CAUT] WAPIN INSTALLATION: LIVE!

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Sat Nov 4 12:29:59 MST 2006

I stand by my statements.  Especially about the Rebuilders Gallery.  I
always want to know what an instrument sounded like before it was
rebuilt.  There is a lot to be learned from the sound of a "shot"
piano.  I hope Mark records this piano in as many different ways as
possible before and after.  It's been done over and over.  But one more
time will always be better.

Jim's post is interesting, but lacks history and information about the
process.

We were asked to do a before and after test in Rochester.  Not under
our control.  The tape markers used in the test were removed in a
supposed secure area by an unknown person.   The hall supervisor
apologized profusely.  But the underlying attitude exists.

At least we learned how to approach the testing that was attempted at
Rochester.  One conclusion was this type of testing should NOT done at
a convention.   Plans are being made to do the testing correctly
without someone sabotaging the experiments.

Have questions?  Go to Brandon University.  Mark is a great technician.
  He admits he is skeptical of Wapin, but he is willing to take a look
and make it possible for others to observe.  Even when Mark and I
disagree (remember the agraffe polishing procedures?) I still have the
utmost respect for him.

Tim Coates