[CAUT] WAPIN INSTALLATION: LIVE!

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Nov 5 03:42:53 MST 2006

Tim, Mack & all -
Tim, I believe we spoke, at some length, shortly before Rochester,
when I was still expecting to attend, which ultimately I was unable
to do.  (If it was not you, then it may have been Michael Wathan)  A
number of my questions were addressed, but between my memory and a
recent move, which, for the moment, has displaced my notes, I am
unable to recall some of the technical explanations you (or he) were
gracious enough to provide.

The problem I see, as demonstrated by this current thread, is
twofold: 1) the absence of a clearly stated explanation of how this
modification produces the effects claimed, or observed, and 2) the,
as yet, inability to construct an experiment which would satisfy
generally accepted scientific criteria.  Neither the web site, nor,
if I recall correctly, the patent, actually do this.  With regard to
the first, would it be possible to engage in such a conversation, or
do you feel it would necessitate divulging what you feel to be
'proprietary' information? As for an experiment, have you spoken with
Stephen Birkett?  It would seem likely that, with the work he has
been doing, he would have the means(though maybe not the time) to
provide as exhaustive an experiment as can be done. (With
pictures!?)  What I would want to see is a full set of data (spectrum
and, if possible, visual) before and after, with the ONLY change
being the repinning of the particular note(s) being tested.  No new
board, or cap. A single variable.  Maybe I'm misguided or
misinformed, but a carefully crafted experiment would go a long way
towards moving the discussions about WAPIN away from the subjective.

In any case, I hope Mark's event is successful, both musically and socially.

Best -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY