[CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Mon Nov 6 13:19:21 MST 2006

I tried a number of ways, but always come back to steam.  It leaves no stains, the buttons stay in place and it's fast.  Afterwards, one does have to fit the blance hole to the pin, of course.  Ralph Stilwell shared this method with me 20-something years ago.

0010--The hole punched in the bottom of a coffee can.
0014--The can inverted in a pan of boiling water on a hot plate.
0012--(For picture taking purposes only) the key placed over the hole in the can.

I set a key on to steam and by the time I've removed the previous key's bushing, the next key is ready.

The metal rack came from a store and was used to sell 8 Track tapes, I believe!  It's also handy for propping my heat gun in when pulling knuckles.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois

PS  Lots O'lead in that key.  It got fixed.