[CAUT] WAPIN Installation

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Mon Nov 6 16:42:02 MST 2006

Jim,

You lack history of the testing done.  All that you state as the "best
testing method" (not sure if those are your exact words) has been done.
   Baldwin did it about ten years ago.  It would be nice if Baldwin's R
&R department existed as it once did and they would be willing to share
their information and methodology.   It would also of been nice if
Baldwin had not been going through extreme financial difficulties at
the time the testing was done, because there was strong interest in
Wapin.  But their higher up execs had more important matters at hand.
For now what Wapin Company got out of it was one of our best
installers.  The floor technician who prepped the piano for sale at the
Baldwin Factory Store was highly impressed.  As I said he is now one of
our best installers and I call him for advice from time to time.  We
know the every other note test has no place in testing despite the on
going insistence by technicians who have no knowledge of how the bridge
system works.

You lack knowledge of  the installation methods.  There are several.
But the method used for the current comparisons is what is called the
"retrofit".  The strings are not removed from the piano.  You made
statements that assume installation is done by restringing.   If you
want more details I can let you know when an installation seminar is
close to you, but for now here is the overview:  lower the tension,
pull the front pins, move strings out of the way, plug the holes, drill
the perpendicular holes,  drive the new pins, mark the trapping pin
location, drill the trapping pin location, drive the trapping pins, put
strings back into position, raise the tension.  Obviously there is more
to it than that, such as some tools designed by us to help with the
process.  But the piano does not need to be restrung.  You may not
think this is the best method to test a piano, but others who are more
learned than either of us don't seem to be bothered by it.

Jim, I know you mean well.  I didn't think Otto's comments were
directed at you.  And I have talked with Michael Wathen several times
about your studies.  He always admires your work.  He has told me you
two have talked.

I agree with Michael Wathen's statements about the piano industry.
And I think they have a place on this list.  All is not well in the
piano industry.  I think we have a responsibility to talk about it.

Tim Coates