[CAUT] WAPIN Installation

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Nov 7 08:29:31 MST 2006

Tim:

I know posts from me have irritated you in the past so I'll try my best
not to do that with this one.

When someone invents something that they deem to be significant,
application is made for a patent.  In the patent process "claims" are
made.  If the patent office decides that these claims are novel, not
obvious, and not "prior art" a patent is awarded.  At that time the
claims are made public and the intellectual property is protected for a
length of time.

At this point outsiders can evaluate the claims in the patent and
question them.  The inventor/patent-holder must then defend their
claims. Once a patent has been made public the inventor can expect
questions from the relevant community about his/her work.  The old
playground "because I said so" doesn't suffice.  Questions, requests for
scientific (repeatable) test results can certainly be expected.  Even
the testing process is open to discussion as to its validity.  This
back-and-forth between knowledgeable people is what keeps innovation
moving.  That's all I've seen here in this discussion.  I haven't seen
any "belligerent" prose (well, maybe the 'pigeon poo' was a little
testy)!

As you know I spent two days with you learning the process and paid my
$100 to become a licensed Wapin installer.  I'm interested in _anything_
that can improve our chosen instrument.  That doesn't mean that I don't
still have questions.  Like most in our line of work I always want to
know how and why something works.  These are questions, not attacks!

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu