[CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue Nov 7 16:32:16 MST 2006

Keith,

I guess I've lived a blessed life, but I have only had to deal with a tough glue once.  Initially, they didn't seem to want to come out with just steam.  Someone told me to soak (alcohol, or alcohol & water, or wall paper remover & water?) the bushings out, I tried it, but I couldn't get the timing of it right.  Either I didn't wait long enough, or I waited too long (if there's a catch, I'll always find it).  Plus, I didn't like the staining of the key button.  Eventually I again hauled out the steam set up.  Maybe they came out because they had had a "pre-soak."   So...if I ever run into a tough glue situation again, I think I'll try a small amount of pre-soaking (hopefully, no staining) and then use steam.

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois