[CAUT] Fortepiano stability

Geoffrey Pollard g.pollard at usyd.edu.au
Sat Nov 11 05:37:21 MST 2006

Hi all from Oz,

I'm tuning 3 fortepianos for the Mozart triple piano concerto series this week and next, here in Sydney, for the leading baroque orchestra. Have just staggered home from Sat night after Friday night's first concert. Tuning stability was not good - and I am looking for any help from fellow CAUTs on techniques to nail tunings that will last more than one movement. I have about 2 hours pre-concert for tuning - 40 mins each. I'm hitting hard, and the 3 are becoming more obedient, but the arrival of 1.500 audience seems to unsettle them! Unison and octave drift. Any advice from fortepiano gurus out there?

Thanks,
Geoff Pollard
Sydney Conservatorium of Music
University of Sydney