[CAUT] Tired wippens

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:42:27 MST 2006

Hi Paul,
	Actually, you can eliminate the dent in the top of the rep with a
cabinet scraper. Put it in a vice, give it a quick couple pulls of a
sharp scraper, and that can be fast and smooth. Then spray or brush
on your favorite (I'd use McLube).
	The spring grooves can be addressed with the wipps on the rail.
First remove all springs to one side. Put a bamboo skewer through a
bunch of them at a time, and clean the springs with a rag soaked in
mineral spirits. Cleaning and removing the bump from the groove can
be done with a variety of tools, either working from the front with a
right angled tool, or from the bottom (set the action upside down and
work from the cushion side) with a straight tool. The tool should be
made to have an angle similar to the shape of the groove, and should
be sharpened with a file to create a scraping edge. I use a real
cheap screwdriver or the like - I look around the shop until I see
something I can make work, with luck something I used for the process
last time <G>. Then apply McLube with a small paint brush. This can
go quite fast if you set things up right.
	Which isn't to say don't replace in preference to doing this kind of
thing. It's a question of priorities, where you want to put your
parts budget. If you have enough budget, and this won't rob from
other projects, I would probably replace.
	BTW, the gunk on the rep springs is undoubtedly graphite grease,
plus dust of ages. I guess that graphite grease was pretty popular
for a good while. The tech probably thought he was doing great
things, not creating problems for his successors <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu