[CAUT] Duplex angle

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 15 13:25:33 MST 2006

Hi Alan.

I dont really see that an experiment is necessary per se. Anything that
comes in contact with the string only part of the time will cause a
buzz... and suck up whatever energy goes into making the buzz.
Conceptually... its the same thing as putting a penny on a unison and
putting the string into vibration. Its just that instead of a free
floating penny... its the edge of the capo / part of a groove / or in
general poor contact.  The same thing would happen at the bridge if we
didnt use bridge pins to hold the strings clamped.. yes ?

But if you must have some kind of experiment to demonstrate leakage
across the termination, simply build yourself a monochord with the
ability to alter the length and angle of the front duplex length. Then
pluck the front length with some standardized force and measure the
output of the speaking length.  You will find the angle and length are
not nearly so related to this output as you might think.  On the other
hand... there is indeed a clear and significant relationship between
these same angle and length quantities as it relates to loss TO the
termination (as in buzzing). And another clear relationship between
these two along with the profile and hardness of the capo as it relates
to long term wear... which can lead to buzzing over time... or string
breakage... or other issues.  There is a lot to balance and the fact
that there has been tried so many configurations attests to that.

Think of it this way Alan.  You have two things here.  Buzzing at the
capo itself and a vibrating front segment.  Are they the same thing ?
Of course not. I think the idea that they can be thrown into the same
box came about because a group of techs not liking the front duplex
sound as a whole decided to just define all sound coming from this
system as noise.   This is clearly a misnomer because the definition of
noise is along the lines of "random frequencies" where as the front
segment is far too clearly defined.  And no... it does not matter that
the actual frequencies deviate from the intended ones to some degree...
there is a clear pattern and element of design to the front segment
lengths. That simply precludes the idea of randomness.

Just as a kicker... I was on an old B today.  Just for fun I used a
small pick to pluck at several front lengths to see what kind of output
I'd get for the speaking lengths. Two agraffe's and two capos. You
couldnt hear a difference in output at all.  Perhaps one is
measurable... but the difference wont be much.  Angles up on the
agraffes were about 15 degrees and the capo a bit steeper. Front lengths
were standard at the capo for S&S and about 10 mm for the agraffes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
RicB

    OK. I hear you. So you must have devised some kind of experiment to
    prove
    this to yourself - that the buzzing that we hear is not excessive
    leakage
    across the capo, but is leakage to the capo instead. I'd like to be
    able to
    do that experiment myself. Can you describe your experiment so that
    I might
    be able to duplicate it?

    Alan