[CAUT] Duplex angle

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Wed Nov 15 14:55:23 MST 2006

Ric,

Thanks for your clarification.

I make a distinction between what I call string sizzle (buzzing at the capo)
and duplex noise. String sizzle I deal with by reshaping and voicing the
hammer, mating the hammer to string contact, reshaping the capo to get rid
of a groove. In that order. I deal with duplex noise by hammer voicing,
using pitchlocks in the segment, or glue on the offending string(s), and as
a last resort muting out the segment with a tiny fragment of bushing cloth
woven in that unison right up against the counterbearing bar.

To me the front duplex adds to the overall soundscape as does the
backlength. I have no objection to this when it works properly, in fact I
like it. But when a higher-than-normal harmonic in the duplex is excited and
stands out and annoys me, I try to deal with it. Same with string sizzle.
But they are different phenomena.

For me venue plays a role here. On a concert instrument in a larger hall, I
never mute out a duplex segment even if it bugs hell out of me while I'm at
the piano because I don't want to risk dampening projection. Unless it bugs
the pianist too.

Maybe we are ships passing in the fog here.

Alan