[CAUT] Piano Garage for Temperature & Humidity Control

Otto Keyes okeyes at uidaho.edu
Thu Nov 16 21:15:31 MST 2006

At the Banff Centre, we had 2 D's that shared duty in 2 different halls,
connected by a common backstage area.  We enclosed an area just the size
of the 2 pianos, with room for theatre storage on top.

I made 2 rolling carts with damp-chaser units on them, since we really
didn't want a permanent installation on the pianos.  These followed the
instrument to whatever venue it was needed in, & stayed under it until
concert time.  I think we also installed floor-length skirts (these were
formal instruments ;-)) to create a contained environment.  The pianos
were actually quite stable.

Since I left, the Music dept. has gotten a new home, so I assume that
has all gone by the board with state-of-the-art HVAC  ---  which we all
know always works perfectly!!!

Otto