[CAUT] large and rapid humidity changes!

John Minor jminor at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 27 13:00:02 MST 2006

Paul,

I can sympathize! I've been fighting the same battle here at the University of Illinois for 13 years! Unfortunately, there seems to be considerable animosity between the facilities management people and the academics who run the department. Outdated HVAC equipment that won't function properly also plays a large roll. There are HUGE systems that can only be repaired so far before they need wholesale upgrades.

Part of the problem has to do with fresh air dampers being wide open, thus bringing in outside air that needs to be cooled and/or heated to acceptable temperatures. There are laws that require  outside air to be brought into the system to maintain healthy air quality. These can operate poorly, causing more outside are than is really needed.

It is helpful to print out the data from the graph on the DICKSON DATA LOGGER and send it to department managers to forward to facilities people. I've attached a couple of examples.

It can be extremely frustrating to have to work around these conditions and I don't have any failsafe solutions, although it may be of help to gain support/sympathy/outrage from the faculty who have the ear of the directors and or chancellors.

Good luck!

John Minor
University of Illinois