[CAUT] large and rapid humidity changes!

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 27 12:46:35 MST 2006

You have a major problem here that no DC system in the world is going to
help enough with.  A 65 % change in humidity in the same day  is just
plain too much period.  You need to get the university to either take
steps to lessen the problem in the hall itself... or understand that
they might as well give up on having tuned instruments for concerts and
recitals unless they set off an hour just before each use.  And even
then they are at risk.

That kind of humidity swing is just plain ridiculous.  No instrument in
the world will survive healthily for more then a few years of that kind
of environment.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi list,

    We have a classroom/recital hall with a huge humidity problem.  Has
    anyone
    else had this problem:

    The room seats about 200 and has a Steinway D from the late 70's and a
    harpsichord.  The room can change by 30-40% or more in a day!  Over the
    T-Day  weekend I put in one of those small humidistat from Pianotek
    and it
    showed a range of 24-80%!!!  Not only are my tunings worthless for
    recitals if I tune in the morning and the concert is in the evening (as
    some days, that is the only time the room is available),  but it has
    got
    to be wrecking havock on the instruments. It doesn't have a piano life
    saver system in it, and I wonder how much it would help with such wild
    swings.  I and all the faculty have complained about it (apparantly for
    years prior to my getting here this year) and nothing gets done.

    Can I do more that just cover them and go ahead and put a DC system
    on it?
     They do have thick blanket style covers on them.

    Sweating to the oldies in Lincoln....