[CAUT] deferred maintenance, was: large and rapid....

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Nov 28 16:23:11 MST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 2:31 PM, rwest1 at unl.edu wrote:

> There is a lot of deferred maintenance on campus.  Nebraska voters
> want taxes cut, and spending reduced.  As long as that mood exists,
> they'll have foggy rooms, and pay more in the long run for what
> should be routine maintenance.  At least that's my take on the real
> cause of the problem.

That sounds like South Carolina as well.  I agree with your take.
There was a $900+ million surplus in the SC budget this year, but
they would rather give it back to tax payers than apply it to the
departments that had been barely operating during the last several
years because of the deep cuts that created the surplus when the
economy rebounded, or to the departments that have long standing
unmet needs.  When some spending was increased to some of the
departments that had barely survived the recession, politicians eager
to unseat incumbents called it "spending run amuck".  Other
incumbents claimed to have "eliminated wasteful spending", when the
truth was that essential services departments were grossly
underfunded.  They won their elections this month.

> Having said all that, I hope you all don't get the impression that
> the University of NE is falling apart.  There are a lot of good
> things happening there.  With all the recent budget cutting around
> the nation, I think NE fared better than some universities.  New
> buildings go up.  Renovations of old buildings get done.  It's just
> hard to know when the music school renovations will move to the top
> of the priority list.

And here too.  Unfortunately, the K-12 schools don't seem to fare as
well.  In two new schools in one of the wealthiest school districts
in South Carolina, I recently tuned 4 brand new Chinese made Story &
Clark studio pianos that were basically ordered through mail order
(some company that provides a one stop shop for school furnishings
and supplies), that had been placed by a dealer somewhere many states
away.  They were basically delivered in the crate.  I have no idea
how they were uncrated.  They'd been used in music classes for 7
weeks before the dealer made contact with someone to go tune them,
and I was told they'd been sitting there since July before that.  In
most, I found the bass to be around pitch but the pitch at C52 was
about 50 cents low and on some was as low as 100 cents further into
the treble.  The tone of these beasts was awful.  The poor teachers
had been trying to teach on these.  Factory "finished" action
regulation left a LOT to be desired, even though the dealer claimed
they were supposed to have been "gone through" at the warehouse in
California before they were shipped to SC (the dealer never took
possession of them).  These cheap PSOs won't last anytime in a
school.  But the district purchasing agent bypassed the local dealers
and found a deal on pianos with a name she'd heard of and believed to
represent good quality.  No thought was given to warranty service
issues or anything like that.  Taxpayers will be paying to replace
them sooner than we should, and they aren't going to be in tune when
it comes time for my children to take music classes in those rooms.

I also recently read an invitation to bid on piano "tuning" for
another local school district.  No mention of how many tunings per
year to expect, what time of year to plan to perform them, or how
many pianos in the district.  Nor was there any guarantee of a
minimum number of "tunings", and no opportunity to inspect the
current condition of the instruments being covered by the bid.  But
they wanted you to include all "preventive maintenance" (including
all "adjustments, repairs, etc." - how open ended is that?) with the
tuning price at no extra cost.  The technician was to provide all
parts and accessories (which would include items like Dampp-Chaser
systems) "at cost with no built in profit", and be able to provide
service response within 24 hours of a call, between the hours of 9 am
and 3 pm.  The bidder is required to carry all sorts of liability
insurances and vehicle insurance coverage limits per their
requirements, and be able to provide proof if asked.

The technician was to bid a "per tuning" cost.

Rather than submit a bid, I sent them a long letter.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina