[CAUT] large and rapid humidity changes!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Nov 29 07:40:30 MST 2006

Richard and all,

The damage is starting to become apparant to the Steinway.  Two weeks ago,
the local chapter was blessed to have Wally Brooks for an all day seminar.
 It regarded tone building among other things.  I learned quite a bit and
decided to perform some tone building of my own on this instrument while
the students were out on T-Day break.  The first thing I did was tighten
everything I could find on the cabinet,plate, etc.  The plate bolts turned
nearly 1/4 turn!!  No doubt due to the crazy humidity fluxes.  I was able
to turn most other screws, but nothing of this magnitude.  I will be going
to all pianos in the building and record the results.

You others that also have humidity challenges might try tightening your
plate bolts too and let me know if you get such noticable outcomes.

Thanks for all your input,  My report will be thoughtful and insightful
upon compiling my data.

Good times ahead!

Paul T. Williams RPT

"rwest1 at unl.edu" <rwest1 at unl.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/28/2006 01:31 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] large and rapid humidity changes!

Wim,

The picture was sent up the food chain, but I don't know how far up
it got.  The problem was treated as an emergency, so that the
maintenance people were right there to see what they could do.  They
followed up for several days after the problem was "fixed", so I
couldn't complain about their service or the desire to get things
fixed.  The problem is beyond simple fixes, however.  The HVAC has
been causing problems in that room for a couple years now and
evidently continues to need periodic attention.  It's not a problem
that occurs daily, at least not while I was there, but something gets
screwed up every few months or so.

Money does get spent.  A year or two ago a wad was spent replacing
the HVAC in one of the recital halls.  The emergency there was pigeon
poop and a pile of dead birds.   You can imagine the stench that was
starting to permeate the hall.

There is a lot of deferred maintenance on campus.  Nebraska voters
want taxes cut, and spending reduced.  As long as that mood exists,
they'll have foggy rooms, and pay more in the long run for what
should be routine maintenance.  At least that's my take on the real
cause of the problem.

Having said all that, I hope you all don't get the impression that
the University of NE is falling apart.  There are a lot of good
things happening there.  With all the recent budget cutting around
the nation, I think NE fared better than some universities.  New
buildings go up.  Renovations of old buildings get done.  It's just
hard to know when the music school renovations will move to the top
of the priority list.  For Paul's sake, I hope it's sooner rather
than later.

Richard