[CAUT] assistant position

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Nov 29 08:43:08 MST 2006

Don:

Of course "saving money" as the sole criterion for all decisions is in
vogue now.  I hope this is a trend that will eventually go out of style.
The school could obviously save money by not hiring an assistant and
could save even more by getting rid of you.  They could save money by
getting rid of the entire custodial staff too.  It's a matter of how
dirty the building can get and still function and attract students.

It really becomes matter of deciding how bad the pianos can get and
still maintain their reputation as a first-rate music school.  Certain
maintenance needs to be done to stay open.  I just wish I could hear
someone request a report on how good our pianos could get if we did the
right things!

Schools (and companies) hire custodial workers because if they didn't
hire them $100.00 per hour people would have to spend some of their
valuable time doing things that $10.00 per hour people could do.  If an
assistant could do work that would otherwise be done by more expensive
outside contractors then that would save money.  You might have to go
over the records of how much has been spent on outside work in the past
to make this case.

dave

David M. Porritt

dporritt at smu.edu