[CAUT] becoming an all Steinway School

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sun Dec 9 20:33:23 MST 2007

Pull the action and make sure that the strings are close enough to
the string-bed that the action can reasonably reach it without
backing the drop screws out to the top and then twisting some more in
vain hope of reasonable drop.  3/16"+ drop with the screws maxed out
is not a good starting point.  Brand-new hammers overstriking by 1/8+
should raise your eyelids a little.

This piano has a terribly weak mid-treble to boot.  But the prof
liked the tenor bass.  As Ning An put it, "a tale of two
pianos."  "What happened to the other half of the good one in the
bass/tenor?"  The keys also have lots of bounce (heavily
leaded).  I'm not sure that filling all that gap between the hammer
shanks and the whippen cushions is going to take care of the bounce
problem (enough to interfere with rapid repetition).

Andrew Anderson