[CAUT] 5 Pianos

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 20:32:07 MST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 8:46 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Kent,
>
> Remind me why close miking seems to be the thing?

I'm no recording engineer. I'm a piano tech who was a bit desperate to
improve my voicing skills, and I felt the need to directly and
objectively compare the different sounds of different pianos. Some
pianos are in dreadful rooms; close miking lets you record at low gain
and room noises and general background noises become much less a
factor. That's all. And I can carry my entire recording setup in my
tuning case.

Miking way outside the piano is great, but I couldn't make that work
for the voicing comparisons I wanted to do.

Kent