[CAUT] Cross papering

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Jan 4 07:33:33 MST 2007

At 12:21 AM 1/5/2007 +1100, you wrote:

>Hello David,
>
>Could you explain "cross papering" of flanges?
>
>Thanks,
>Geoff Pollard
>Sydney Conservatorium of Music

G'day mate!,

Cross papering of S&S flanges is where you put a small strip only on
the opposite "corners" of the flange, as opposed to placing travel
paper across the entire side of the flange.  Depending on the amount
of shift desired, you may only use one strip, or you may double up
for gross adjustments.

You try to add paper only on the outer edges, as having too much on
top will affect traveling. Steinway bashing aside, this method does
have permanency. If you later take the hammer off and replace it
(without dislodging the paper) it will automatically realign itself,
and a loose screw does not instantly mean an unspaced hammer.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.