[CAUT] RE : huge pitch raise question

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Thu Jan 11 15:11:55 MST 2007

Hi Michelle,

Try some protec on the Vbar. I don't find it necessary--but apparently your
hammer technique may benefit from using it. (at least on those 25 year old
baldways, sumores, and wurliebirdies). Apply with an artists brush. Do go
down in pitch first (just enough to hear the pitch change)--then *all* the
way up to the overpull setting on your accutuner.

I sure wish someone would call me a child again! (old gray and grizzled is
what I get now).

Thanks for starting an interesting thread!

At 10:41 AM 1/11/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Awwright now.
>That's it..
>
>So far I've been called "jerk", now "child" and someone very
>important in this group (and to me) even called me a... (prepare
>yourself..)  WIMP.
>
>No I have not had this problem on all my big pitch raised pianos.
>What they share in common is being really flat, studio sized and are
>brands like Sohmer, Baldwin, etc...
>The consensus seems to be that there's some flaw in the string to
>begin with, and the (mostly midrange) breaks that have occured have
>either been at the v bar (more often) or the coil.
>I don't recalll any overlapped strings on tapped pins for these are
>folks who got this piano 25+ years ago and seemingly haven't had it
>tuned/looked at since..
>
>Love,
>Child

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7