[CAUT] String scaling help svp?

Stephen Birkett sbirkett at real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Jan 28 19:28:45 MST 2007

>According  to Youngs paper of 1952 the Modulus divided by the
>density of the string results in a consant (25.5*10^10th). It
>appears to me that this constant is supposed to be the same
>regardless of material, which would mean that E is the product of D
>* this constant.

Ric,

Young's modulus is not an easy parameter to determine experimentally.
Using bulk tensile testing, even with fancy equipment, you can't get
a very accurate value, partly because real materials never behave
completely linearly (even steel wire). There are additional
complications that make tensile testing of wire a very difficult
experimental procedure, adding to the inaccuracies in determining the
modulus for a wire specimen.

It is primarily a material dependent property, but can be affected to
some extent by mechanical working (and heat treatments).
Consequently, a small range of moduli will be relevant for a given
material according to how it has been physcially processed. Accurate
measurement of Young's modulus can be done by sonic and similar
techniques which measure the vibrations of the metallurgical
structure at the atomic level. All are involved and generally
expensive. There is no general correlation between density and
modulus. Compare brass, denser but the modulus is considerably lower
than that of steel.

>In any case it seems to me that there is some significant  amount
>of confusion surrounding Young Modulus and it perhaps is more
>important in a practical  scaleing sense then we assume.

It has little practical use for scaling since it is not a
controllable factor in wire manufacture. It is essentially determined
by the choice of material.

>This fits well with your call to empirical testing for breaking strength / %'s

The only way to determine the capabilities of your wire is with
tensile testing.

Stephen
--
Stephen Birkett