[CAUT] String scaling help svp?

Richard Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Jan 28 07:43:48 MST 2007

Hi Ron O

Ron N uses the formula from The Calculating Technician I believe.

In any case I think this gets into the reliability of specs for Youngs Modulus that abound. Which in turn is the root of the thread I started a few days back asking for thoughts on that matter.

According  to Youngs paper of 1952 the Modulus divided by the density of the string results in a consant (25.5*10^10th). It appears to me that this constant is supposed to be the same regardless of material, which would mean that E is the product of D * this constant.

In any case it seems to me that there is some significant  amount  of confusion surrounding Young Modulus and it perhaps is more important in a practical  scaleing sense then we assume.

This fits well with your call to empirical testing for breaking strength / %'s

Cheers
RicB