[CAUT] Getting a leg up

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 30 09:20:54 MST 2007

People being moved in from out of state, movers lost control
of the Baldwin console on the ramp and it took brief but
impressive flight. Result: both legs broken. I got the call
and made the repair.

The plan was to pull the legs apart, drill for a reinforcement
rod, and epoxy the mess back together using the break for
alignment. Hah!

Baldwin had, apparently realizing the "break here" nature of
the way too narrow profile at the top of the leg, had embedded
a 3/8" threaded mild steel rod in the leg there. Swell idea.
It didn't add anything in strength, but it kept the legs from
falling clear off when they did break. Maybe that was the
intention, in which case it worked great! Having to twist the
legs off naturally trashed the nice clean breaks I originally
had to look at, so I went to plan B.

A 1/2" threaded rod, to try to insure that the entire sides of
the case would be broken off before the legs would break
again, a couple of inches of McMaster-Carr brass tubing to
hide and disguise the nasty looking joint and provide a wider
leverage base for increased strength, and twice the epoxy and
wood flour mix the thing would hole (mopping up the overflow),
did the trick.

No touch up whatsoever required, and a resulting stronger
joint than I had originally planned. The two turned steps on
either side of the joint are the same diameter, so I could
have gone with larger diameter tubing to fit them and gotten
an even more solid joint (full of MORE epoxy), but I thought
it would look too clunky. Not that this is all that beautiful,
but it is relatively unobtrusive and looks to me like it might
have been intentional rather than a patch.

For what it's worth to anyone interested.

Ron N