[CAUT] Steinway D elevations

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Mon Jul 2 12:48:59 MDT 2007

You can use the spec as others have mentioned (1 1/16" sounds right - I
can't remember), or do it according to clearance with the top of the
backcheck.

After mounting the hammers, regulate one note for blow, letoff and drop,
and the key for aftertouch. Press the key down full and check the
clearance of the tail with the backcheck.

I like 1mm clearance at this position, but 0 - 2mm will work.

Take your measurement of tail length needed, and trim them all the same.

I like to cove and shape my hammer tails after the hammers are mounted,
then burnish / repin the shank centers for even friction. For length I
set up a little jig on my table saw with a sanding wheel to trim the
tails.  My sequence may not be the most practical for you, but it works
well for me.

Don Mannino