[CAUT] steinway with two keyboards

Mark Ultsch multsch at jvlnet.com
Mon Jul 16 22:29:23 MDT 2007

The top manual only plays an octave above.  The down weight of the
lower manual when coupled to the octave above is moderated a bit by
what I would call "coupler lever assist springs" (similar to wippen
assist springs).  Although, as Fred says, the down weight was
extremely high before the reconditioning, that was due in part to many
of these springs being broken or too weak.

And yes, Baoli Liu, Head Piano Tech, and I are quite glad Steinway (or
anyone else for that matter) was willing to work on it.

Mark Ultsch
UW--Madison Piano Shop