[CAUT] steinway with two keyboards

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 16 20:47:12 MDT 2007

> Well, this is a real Rube Goldberg version. And the touch was heavier
> than anything I’ve ever seen. I saw it April, 2006, and was glad someone
> else was working on it. But, yes, similar in many ways to some tracker
> organs I’ve seen, so probably like reed organ as well (I haven’t seen
> one with a coupler).

In a reed organ, the coupler not quite doubles the down
weight, since the second pallet valve spring resistance and
coupler friction is at a significant mechanical leverage
advantage on the coupled note. You wouldn't get that luxury
with a piano action, since the key dip to hammer blow ratio is
less forgiving, assuming the top key row plays two notes an
octave apart. Does it work that way, or does the top manual
just play the octave above?

Ron N