[CAUT] key-easing pliers?

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Thu Jul 19 10:20:44 MDT 2007

Since we seem to be rebushing with leather more often, the easing pliers are
getting a bit of use.

(Especially when the thickness of a "good" strip of leather can vary by
.2mm... or more)

We really should have another set of easing pliers, but I'm finding the
selection a bit confusing. i.e.:

Pianotek: JKE-2 Japanese pliers:

I like the "spartan, bare-bones" appearance, and don't mind the price for a
quality tool ($105.00), but w/o springs or lever action, wonder if they're
kind of tiring to use?

Renner: #1616 (compound/parallel/front-rail access) $120.00

I'm leaning towards these, but would they be a nuisance for the balance
rail?

(they look quite similar to the Pianotek KPL-4f @ $96.00)

Of all the features I've seen (parallel action, front-rail access, pivoting
center-jaw, etc.) all that's really important to me is something that is
comfortable to use, and sensitive enough to make fine adjustments. I would
also choose versatility over specialty.

Can anyone offer some "seasoned" recommendations?

thanks!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University