[CAUT] key-easing pliers?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 20 12:52:19 MDT 2007

Hi Mark,
    Getting back to the original question, I like the Pianotek JKE-2 and
similar best (I've bought maybe 8 different designs over the years,
including parallel, etc). I don't find them tiring. A lot has to do with
exactly how wide the handles are while squeezing, and these fit my hand/feel
best. The KPL-4f style are great to have for the purpose (not enough time to
pull the stack, and you need to ease a few), but I don't like them for
general use. Partly because the squeezing part is 1/2 - 2/3 the length of
the mortise, so you really need to do 2 squeezes to each. Sometimes this is
an advantage, when the wood is hard to squeeze - you can be more precise.
But not for everyday, I don't think.
    Bottom line, though, is precision sizing (selecting) of bushings trumps
easing any day, if you are the one doing the bushing (not that we don't need
to do a bit of touch up from time to time). Especially true when bushing
those hard wood buttons on Kawai and others, which don't want to budge with
pliers.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico