[CAUT] key-easing pliers?

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Wed Jul 25 11:03:53 MDT 2007

Thanks all!

(Mr.) Bill mentioned sizing leather with a drum sander a number of years
back. Ironically, this was right about the time I stopped "liking" leather,
so we never did tool up.

The results with our current stock (Renner) have been quite precise, so any
touch-up with pliers has been done with much sober fore-thought, and
thankfully, quite minimal.

However the guys had pointed out waste from thickness changes near the ends
of the strip, and from what you all tell me, I think the drum sander will
correct all that.

(Hey Ed, what grit is on your drum... and can we do hi-speed manicures?)

BTW, Bill's system is absolutely beautiful! I think we started with the
cauls in 95 (?) then added the heated-broach system (thank-you Master
Wolfenden!) from Pianotek, and finally the mortise-sizing cauls, whenever
they became available.

With the control over key-pin, mortice and cloth sizing, so little variable
remains. We record the cloth and heating broach size (as many of you do)
right on the key-board and in our records.

How much easier this job has become! I'm very grateful for all the
contributors to this process over the years.

My assistants (I have four this summer) re-bush the keys, and it's amazing
to me, given the right person, the level of precision they acheive on the
very first set.

Which pretty much explains "why" we really haven't "needed' any good
key-bushing pliers.

Here's one exception:

When you've done all of the above to perfection, and have one or two keys
that just won't give the right fit with the heated broach, and you've biased
and wiggled the broach from side to side, and you're double-darn sure the
cloth isn't over-length, and there's not the eansiest bit of glue
squeeze-out hiding in there.... then I feel it's permissable to "resize" :>)
the mortice a wee wee bit with the good ol pliers.

The idea being that the next time these bushings are serviced, these keys
will respond identically to their neighbors, with just one pass of the
broach.

BTW, one thing I'm really excited about, but haven't tried yet, is Jim B's
suggestion that the broaches work with leather. I had ruled this possiblity
out with even giving it a second thought.
Will try it on the very next set.

Again, thanks all!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University