[CAUT] Key bottoms (was Re: key-easing pliers?)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jul 26 16:15:41 MDT 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Jim Busby wrote:
> Fred,
>
> One difference/question I have is - isn’t it easier to insert the
> proper sizing cauls, then turn the set upside down and insert the
> BR pins (the cauls won’t let the pins fall through), then add
> sizing fluid? After they dry, ream the mortise so the “foot” of the
> hole is the exact thickness.
Takes a long time to insert those balance pins in each hole, and then
pull them out later (I don't have a bunch of student helpers, so a
few seconds here and there on each little procedure add up). I'm
"reaming" with a drill bit, which doesn't remove as much wood as a
real reamer, and maybe leaves a bit of "uncut splinters" (we're
talking fairly microscopic) to hold glue if I need to size later.
That's my reasoning, anyway. And I think it leaves a more stable
condition than just putting in BR pins and letting the wood conform
to them, if your holes are too small to begin with. I'm closer to
having the right amount of wood (in this dimension, not to be
confused with the reaming you are talking about above). Making the
hole exactly the size of the pin will require a bit of easing. So I
use one sizing caul, which is heated. The heat increases the size of
the balance pin in the caul from .146" to .147", and the heat helps
size the wood - make the size relatively permanent. It puts the hole .
001" larger than the pin, very nicely and consistently. (Glue-sizing
to make the hole smaller where needed is a separate part of the
procedure, done only to holes that are too large).
> Replace them on the Keyframe to check BR fit and fix pulley keys.
That's a lot of time and work. I like to leave the keys in the clamp,
and bring the balance pin to the key. I can feel that pin going into
the hole very precisely, and also feel if there is any play in any
direction..
> Many times pulley keys are no longer an issue with the glue sizing
> formula. BTW I use a much diluted (12/1 or so) Elmer’s glue for
> sizing. Ron N. tells me that this is the only place on a piano
> where he uses that glue. (Thanks Ron) There is no sound, click,
> etc. with Elmer’s glue as there is with PVCE, Hot Hide, and or
> other glues.
>

> Baldassin taught me to add this extra step (it really doesn’t take
> long) of placing the keys back on the frame BEFORE the bushings are
> in so that you can work the BR holes w/o “false readings” from
> overly tight new bushings. It takes about 10 – 15 minutes longer
> but the total focus on the BR hole pays big dividends, IMO. Here is
> when I deal with the pulley keys because now you’re sure of which
> ones weren’t fixed by the glue sizing.
Rick B is certainly correct in wanting to separate bottom hole from
bushings, so one doesn't mask the other. I think I do it with a lot
less time and effort. Putting a loose pin into the hole removes the
factor of the weight of the key. All that lead can mask a lot of
problems.
> Anyway, just a bit more to consider for your book... Who knows?
> Marriott’s success, he said, was to “write out every tiny process
> and revise it in writing until nothing more could be perfected,
> then get all your employees to do it THAT way.”
I don't like having employees other than myself. That's one reason I
am in this business <G>.
> (I vote for you to write that book, sometime before your beard is
> entirely gray?? You and Ron. Oh well, Ron…))
I don't think there's much chance of me compiling and writing in book
form. But if anyone else wants to do that, and make use of what I
have posted from time to time, that would be fine with me. Have at it
with my compliments.
> High regards,
>
> Jim
Regards,