[CAUT] Weights vs Riblets in an S&S D

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sun Jul 29 10:19:11 MDT 2007

Listmembers,
Some questions in response to the journal article; practical application.

I service an S&S D where we are really unsatisfied with the mid to
upper treble killer octaves.  I describe the sound a fuzzy.  The
upper partials clash and do not settle into a clear ringing
tone.  The high treble is fine.  This is the kind of sound you get
from cheap chinese grands when you try to play them
loud--distortion.  Problem is it happens at all dynamic
levels.  Needling hasn't helped, shellac got us back some power but
the sound still fritzes and fuzzes on us.  The Steinway Artist I was
working with voted for replacement with Hamburg hammers (I'll second
that one).  I was thinking about swapping in different hammers to
check if it is the hammers but with this article I wonder about other
solutions.  This four going on five year old S&S D has other issues
but tonally we are experiencing a weaker, unresolved tone in this area.

Would the use of riblets improve this situation?  I clamped a small
grip on a bridge-pin and did not notice a difference here and so
didn't explore soundboard impedance any further.  Perhaps stiffness
and reducing the resonant frequency a little would help?

Comments?

Andrew Anderson at TAMIU