[CAUT] Position, Assistant, Frost SOM at U. of Miami

Otto Keyes okeyes at uidaho.edu
Mon Jul 30 11:19:59 MDT 2007

Hi Scott & all,

Perhaps I missed it, but I never did see the U of Idaho piano tech
posting on this list, other than the notice I put up.  Would you mind
running that out (again) Scott, in case others didn't see it?  Perhaps
its the advertising (or lack of), or the plethora of open positions, but
there seems to have be little response.

This is really a pretty good gig here.  Though budgets are an issue
(like everywhere else), I think the new dept. head will be good to work
with & make a real effort to help develop the needed resources.  Good
faculty to work with, & minimal politics (graveyard is the only place
one can avoid it completely).  There is a lot of flexibility in the job.
 The position has been re-defined as a "classified" position, which has
both advantages & disadvantages.  In my current circumstances, from a
retirement perspective, I wish it would have been classified when I came
in.  Starting salary is up considerably from when I came in.

Though the name is "Lionel Hampton School of Music", & there is a strong
jazz component, the major emphasis is a classical approach.  The name
came from the association with the L.H. international jazz festival, but
does not define the direction of the school.

Otto

PS:  Ed's comment about the EDT's is well taken.  However, I think that
problem has been around for a long time -- the technology is more
readily available, so strictly "techno-tuners" are more tempted to enter
the field.  I remember talking to a brown-box tuner some 30 years ago
who dealt with string breakage by just rolling up the string in his
pocket & walking out the door with it, because he had neither the tools
nor the skills to do anything else.  Fortunately, he was willing do what
it took to learn, & ended up being a pretty good technician.

By the way, that is not meant to be an EDT bash.  They are very useful
in the proper hands, but tuning is only one aspect of this business.