[CAUT] Lionel Hampton SOM, U of Idaho position (Formerly Otto's, the new Moscow coffe roaster; )

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Mon Jul 30 14:39:15 MDT 2007

Hello folks,

Otto, I don't think they ever sent it me, but I looked it up after you
posted it to the list and pasted what they on the school it to the CAUT
website. Here it is (now you owe me a cup of strong French roast ;) . Hey,
does this job come with great free coffee for life? That might make help
with more applicants!

All the best, Scott

University of Idaho, Moscow, Lionel Hampton SOM, 12 months

Starting Date: As soon as possible

Responsibilities/Duties: Provides specialized technical services to maintain
and repair all pianos and harpsichords. Inspects, tunes, voices, regulates
and makes repairs. Replaces worn or defective parts. Conducts basic piano
rebuilding in shop (when feasible); selects and supervises outside
contractors as major rebuilding is required. Examines wooden parts for
splits, warps, etc., and replaces or repairs as needed. . Inspects,
prepares, and maintains specified department pianos in concert condition. .
Researches and prepares recommendations for acquisition of pianos and
harpsichords. Examines new pianos to ensure proper installation and
adjustment. . Plans and supervises placement and moving of all department
pianos in consultation with piano faculty and Director. . Oversees contract
Piano Technician for Jazz Festival. Trains and supervises any needed
work/study technical help. Schedules work assignments, monitors work and
provides feedback. Ensures compliance with department policies, procedures,
and guidelines. . Determines and ensures adherence to repair and maintenance
schedules for all department pianos and harpsichords. . Monitors budget
expense lines for materials, supplies, repairs and maintenance. Provides
cost estimate reports for budgeting purposes.

Qualifications:
Required:

High school diploma or equivalent. . Three years experience in piano
technology.

    * Expertise in the repair and maintenance of pianos, except case
refinishing.
    * Professional experience in the repair and maintenance of concert
grands, with special emphasis in concert
      level voicing.
    * Thorough knowledge of action regulation for both upright and grand
pianos.
    * Evidence of success in the field.

Desired/Preferred:

    * Knowledge of tuning and maintenance of harpsichords.
    * Ability to assess priorities for acquisition and maintenance of
pianos, based on the needs of the School of
      Music as determined by the Piano Area Coordinator and the Director.
    * Bachelor's Degree.
    * Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
    * Ability to assess priorities for acquisition and maintenance of
pianos, based on the needs of the School of
      Music as determined by the Piano Area Coordinator and the Director.
    * Experience as a rebuilder of pianos, including the ability to remove
and replace the pinblock and plate.
    * Membership in the Piano Technicians' Guild with the status registered
tuner-technician.
    * Evidence of basic piano playing skills.

To Apply: Complete the online application http://www.hr.uidaho.edu including
a letter of application and current resume. Additionally, please send the
names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three
professional references to: Jay Mauchley, Chair Piano Technician Search
Committee, Lionel Hampton School of Music, P.O. Box 444015 , University of
Idaho , Moscow , ID 83844-4015 , 208-885-6231

Closing Date: Priority consideration will be given to those who apply by
July 20, 2007 . Search will continue until a suitable candidate has been
identified.