[CAUT] Bushing cloth thickness

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Mon Jul 30 14:17:20 MDT 2007

Hi all,

Has anybody come up with a "best" thickness for key bushing cloth?  Here's the story.  I'm working on a 1920s S&S B that doesn't have the advantage of a home with air conditioning.  The pianist claims there is a difference in the tightness, or looseness of the keys, according to season.  Well, that's not hard to believe.  The piano is equipped with a full DC system, undercover and string cover.  I've reminded the owner to keep everything closed when she's not playing.

This is a piano with key bottom issues as well which is the main reason I'm working on it.  Anyway, I pulled out the bushings and inserted the mortice drying clamps, which went it <very> easily--I've used them before and don't remember such ease.  I thought I'd glue in some thin veneer shims (like I've used in the past) and try some thinner cloth, not just for good fit, but hoping that the keys would be less affected by changes in humidity.  Would there be any chance of that, or is it just wishful thinking?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois