[CAUT] Bushing cloth thickness

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Jul 31 19:25:35 MDT 2007

>>...for .145 f/r pins I use a .147 caul in the summer and .152 caul
>>in the winter to accommodate for seasonal humidity swings...
>>.161 balance rails, .160 caul., .145 for standard pins. Cauls are
>>brass, heated.

>What happens to your Summer keybushing jobs in the Winter and vice-versa?

Keys are rebushed looser on the pins in the dry season (.152 caul)
so they won't bind come summer.

Keys are rebushed firmer on the pins in the wet season (.147 caul)
so they won't be too loose come winter.

The time of year is taken into account when easing keys with the KBI
(Key Bushing Iron) such that you don't want to introduce too much
play in August which will leave them too loose in the middle of winter
and vise versa.

Repinning requires much the same. 6.5 swings in winter yields ~4 in the summer.
--

Regards,

Jon Page