[CAUT] The politics of clapping (o/t)

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:13:27 MST 2007

Here in the rural south, we do have a pretty knowledgeable audience.
Not only the adults from town and the music students, but also the
music appreciation students, who are taught early, and often, to
remain quite during movements.

But several weeks ago Jan and I went down to Mobile to hear the wife
of one of our professors play a violin solo with the Mobile Symphony.
We were surprised that most of the audience clapped during movements,
not only during the concerto, but also the other pieces on the
concert. When I asked the violin soloists, (who is the concertmaster
of that symphony) about it, she said, yes, they do that all the time.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama